The 2021 season for the FireSmart program is planned to start April 19th.
FireSmart is a community led program intended to educate, promote, and implement wildfire mitigation efforts. The program is administered by the RDCK with funding provided by a grants obtained by the Village of Nakusp with NACFOR as a partner.
FireSmart homes and neighbourhoods allow fire fighters to concentrate on fighting the wildfire – which ultimately saves more homes and lives. Communities whose residents take steps to reduce their vulnerability have a greater chance of surviving a wildfire without the intervention of the fire department. The program draws on a community’s spirit and its willingness to take responsibility for reducing wildfire risks.
Have you prepared your home for a forest fire? Do you know what to look for? Visit the RDCK website for information about the FireSmart program and scheduling a free FireSmart home assessment. A few easy, low cost improvements could save your home and community from a wildfire.
Completed Home Partners Program assessments to 2020:
Twenty Home Partners assessments were completed throughout Nakusp and Area K. Assessments were completed for the Village of Nakusp properties, including the Hot Springs Chalets and buildings, Public works building and Village Office. 2020 assessments were down across all RDCK areas compared to previous years. In 2019, 31 Home partners Program assessments were completed, 9 in 2018 (no local Wildfire Mitigation Specialist in Nakusp) and 20 in 2017.
Other 2020 highlights include:
- FireSmart information displays at four Nakusp Farmer’s Markets and two Edgewood Markets
- Presentation to Village of Nakusp Council, July 2020
- FireSmart Event with Area K Director Paul Peterson with West Arrow Park Residents
- Post mail out for all of Nakusp and Area K – advertising Free FireSmart Assessments
- FireSmart program advertising in Arrow Lakes News
- Facebook posts on NACFOR and Village of Nakusp Facebook pages
- Home Hardware FireSmart Display
- Edgewood Elementary School Presentations
- Fire Department/Brigade outreach and presentations – Burton, Edgewood, Nakusp
- Community presentations in Nakusp, Burton and Fauquier
- Nakusp Chamber of Commerce outreach
- Halcyon Hot Springs and community outreach
- FireSmart information display at Toad Fest Event – Summit Lake
Plans for the 2021 season include:
- Collaborate on a wildfire/emergency preparedness event with the Nakusp Fire Department
- Collaborate on a National Wildfire Preparedness Day event with NACFOR – community chipping
- Collaborate with BC Wildfire and NACFOR for National Forest Week event
- School presentations
- Host FireSmart Community Champion workshops across Area K communities
- Host a Farm and Ranch Session
Download the current Community Wildfire Protection Plan for the Village of Nakusp
Download the Assessment Application
RDCK Wildfire Mitigation information: https://rdck.ca/EN/main/services/emergency-management/wildfires.html
FireSmart Home Partners Program webpage: https://www.livefiresmart.ca/firesmart-home-partners-program/
FireSmart website: firesmartbc.ca
Contact information for the local Wildfire Mitigation Specialist will be published here once the program starts for 2021.